The Institute for Subatomic Physics at Utrecht University invites applications for two PhD studentships in gravitational wave data analysis and phenomenology.
Application deadline: December 15th 2020.
As the successful candidate you will work in the gravitational waves group of Professor Chris Van Den Broeck and Dr. Sarah Caudill, on gravitational wave observations of coalescing binary neutron stars and black holes, with a view on probing the nature of compact objects and determining a neutron star’s interior structure. You will both be members of the Virgo Collaboration, which together with the LIGO Scientific Collaboration jointly analyses all data from the LIGO and Virgo interferometers. The group is also part of the LISA Consortium, and has been heavily involved in developing the science case for third-generation gravitational wave detectors such as Cosmic Explorer and Einstein Telescope.
We are looking for candidates who are enthusiastic and dedicated, and who:
- hold a MSc degree (or equivalent) in physics or a related field by the starting date of employment
- have strong written and oral communication skills in English
- have a strong motivation for multidisciplinary research
- a full-time (1.0 FTE) position for 4 years
- a full-time gross salary that starts at €2,395 and increases to €3,061 per month (scale P of the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch universities (cao))
- benefits including 8% holiday bonus and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- a pension scheme, partially paid parental leave, and flexible employment conditions external link based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities.
In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the CAO for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment yourself via the Employment Conditions Selection Model. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow.
Please find here full information and how to apply: https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university/jobs/two...