The CAP conference organizing committees had previously announced that the next CAP conference is being postponed to 2021 in view of the current global pandemic. After consultations with the local team, the CAP Conference 2021 team has tentatively selected Feb 8-12, 2021 as the new dates for the next Communicating Astronomy with the Public Conference in Sydney, Australia.
The CAP Conference 2021 team will continue to monitor the situation and aim to make a decision on the reopening of abstract and grant applications as well as registrations in around 2-3 months time. In the meantime, if you have any suggestions on how CAP conferences should evolve in the future or ideas on keeping the community engaged while we are all physically distant, please write to to the team at cap2020(at)oao.iau.org.
Communicating Astronomy with the Public 2020 (CAP 2020).
Professionals from science communication, informal education, planetaria and science centres, as well as professional and amateur astronomers, journalists and creative types, are invited to attend the conference to exchange ideas and best practices. Under the central theme of “Communicating Astronomy for a better world: environment, culture and peace”, the Scientific Organising Committee (SOC) is inviting proposals for oral presentations, posters, and workshops to be submitted online by 15 March 2020.
The topics for the conference are:
- Current Challenges in Astronomy Communication;
- Best Practices in Public Outreach;
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Empathy in Communicating Astronomy;
- The Media’s Role in Astronomy Communication;
- Using Multimedia, Social Media, Immersive Environments and other Technologies for Public Engagement with Astronomy;
- Astronomy and Climate Change;
- Astronomy Communication to Promote Peace;
- The Role of Astronomy in Bridging Cultures;
- Communicating Astronomy in the Asia–Pacific Region.
Participants will also have the opportunity to add their own topics for discussion during the event’s “unconference” slots.
Networking activities will encourage learning from peers, identifying potential partners, and strengthening the links between Asia–Pacific and international science communicators.
Please find further information on the conference website: https://www.communicatingastronomy.org/cap2021/